Friday, November 25, 2005


Sorry for the lack of updates. I am hoping to get a new set of photos up today.

We finally got to see some seals on the ground. Here I am sitting in front of a mother and her pup. Up until this point, I had only seen wildlife from the helicopter. I wanted a shot of myself and the seal because I think pictures are more interesting with people (I also wanted credit for seeing them). Sorry for the crappy shot of the seal itself. The next photo I put up will be better. At any rate, the uplift of ice between me and the seals is called a pressure ridge. Pressure ridges form as the ice shelf slowly and deliberately drives into the bedrock. Although subtle in this photograph, they can be quite impressive. Here, the pressure ridge is forming a weak spot in the ice shelf, allowing the seals an easy exit to the surface.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home