Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Our science is going incredibly well. We’ve had a dedicated Twin Otter here, with two crews, so we are basically operating 24 hours a day as long as the weather is fly-able. The above photo was taken by Thomas, and shows the underside of the Twin Otter we've been using at Patriot Hills. Thomas takes some pretty fantastic photos. Even the pilots were salivating over this one. So at any rate, as I've said, the science is going well. Because we're trying to work 24 hours a day, there is pretty much always work to be done, even if you aren't actually out installing a site. For this reason, and simply because I don't want to miss anything, I haven’t had a proper nights rest since being here. I mostly just take 2 or 3 hour naps a couple of times a day, but surprisingly, I’m not tired at all. My body is physically tired, but I think that’s mostly from all the heavy lifting and working in high winds. When I do sleep, it's in my tent, which is shown below. Sorry it’s a bit messy. For those of you who know me well, can you spot Puppy and Tomato Pillow? You can see we’ve got actual mattresses to sleep on, and a little bedside table. I’ve got a thermometer on my alarm clock, and the range in temperatures has been between about 82 (only one day, other than that I haven’t seen it over 65), and about 28. It’s not the greatest sleep when the temperature is 28, but for the most part if the sun is out, the temperature inside the tent is between 50 and 60. Really comfortable actually.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home