Monday, January 07, 2008

Off to Patriot Hills...

I hope to be off to Patriot Hills soon. Patriot Hills is a camp in West Antarctica where we will be camping while installing 6 permanent GPS stations. We have been trying to get out to this camp for two weeks now, but bad weather and a variety of other issues have kept us from getting out sooner. HOWEVER, we are scheduled to fly tomorrow morning, and it looks like we've got about a 50% chance of getting there this time, so I thought I should go ahead and put up a post saying that I will be out of email contact until the end of January. I've probably just jinxed it and we won't even get out, but just in case, that's the scoop. At any rate, other that radio communications, we will only have satellite phones, so no internet. If I have time tomorrow morning, I will put up a map of where we will be going. I really hope we fly tomorrow!!! I am incredibly excited to go this far into West Antarctica, and anxious to get the bulk of our work started. Also, in the past when I have done research in Antarctica, it has always been out of McMurdo, which is basically a small functioning city. This will be Antarctica proper! I'll take lots of photos and put everything up when I get back. Stay tuned....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home