Sunday, January 06, 2008

I got a call in my dorm room at about 6 am, informing me of what had happened to my group. I went and got Peter (our mountaineer) and we headed down to Mac Ops (stands for McMurdo Operations) to get more info. The entire “event” actually went quite well, considering the situation. We were in contact with them via satellite phone, and knew that everyone was ok. Their weather (for the moment) was stable, although they were a bit hungry. The original rescue plan, with a Twin Otter coming from the South Pole, and a second Twin Otter arriving from McMurdo, went as planned, and everyone was back in McMurdo within 24 hours of the crash. Additional backup plans including a supply air drop were also organized, and it was clear that no matter the situation, everyone was going to make it back fine. I was really impressed with the overall execution of the rescue, and with everyone involved. It’s good to know there is such a prepared and skilled group of individuals down here to mitigate events like this. The photo above shows the landing gear that was sheared off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home