Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My affection for this place grows with every day. When the winds are howling at 60 miles an hour, I love it. When it’s so dead calm that you can hear someone’s boots crunching in the snow across camp, I love it. I love getting up in the morning, or any hour of the night really, and looking out and seeing the mountains, seeing the sun. I love the way the skidoos smell. I love the sound of the Twin Otter taking off and landing at all hours. I love chatting and washing dishes with people after meals, and I love the fact that everyone speaks different languages and has different stories and histories that they are willing to talk about. And I love the fact that we are actually getting our science done!!! Above is a photo taken from the Twin Otter showing the Patriot Hills camp. The actual “Patriot Hills” are to the right. You can see the tail end of a ridge sticking out, marking the end of the range.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home